Tuesday, June 14, 2011

day 02 - your least favourite song

I really like the song "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen, and I love the cover by Jeff Buckley, but I really don't like the cover by Rufus Wainwright. Overall, I suppose he does an okay job, but it feels to me like the song is just another pop song, only made to make money.  His piano and vocals are both good, though he's nasal and breathy, and the song is lacking in any depth or emotion.  Cohen and Buckley both put so much into the song, and it is amazing, but Wainwright doesn't seem to feel it at all. It's possible that he just isn't as good of an artist as Cohen or Buckley, I haven't heard any of his other work, so I can't really say, but I think it's sad that he managed to take so much of the beauty out of "Hallelujah"

This isn't the worst performance, but it certainly isn't the best either. . .


Here's Jeff Buckley for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment