Thursday, May 5, 2011

Goggles!

I've decided to use this blog to show off some of the steampunk-ish things that I'm working on.  Being short on money, I can't do much, and nothing that I do is anything special, but it's something. 

A few months ago I modded some goggles for a friend, and I've decided to make some for myself too.  They are simple plastic welding goggles, and I quite like them the way they come, but I thought it would be cool to dress them up a bit.

This is what I started with.  They are nothing special, but they are pretty nifty. I obtained them from this site. They are really inexpensive compared to other goggles and because of their simple design and the fact that they can be taken apart, they are fairly easy to mod.







I used Krylon Fusion for plastic Hammered Finish paint. I was lazy and didn't exactly follow the instructions on the can, but it seems to work okay anyway.









And this is what I've got so far.  The colour doesn't really show very well in this picture, but it's a slightly metallic bronze colour.

After the paint has dried, I might add another coat. Then I'll put them back together and some gears and other small details.

In the end, I think I ended up with more paint on my hand, than I did on the goggles.  My middle and pointer fingers on my left hand are both completely covered in paint and my ring finger and thumb got it pretty good as well.




That's all I've got at this point, but when I have more done, I'll update. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment